5.02.2009

memory lane.

ive never had a very good memory, although people often tell me i remember the most remarkable things. as for my past, my memory is quite spotty. i do, however, have many sensory memories. smells, tastes, sounds etc that remind me of very specific memories in my life. for instance:

•pantene pro v when it was in the tall maroon bottle. the smell of it reminds me of a summer when i lived in suwanee. i had a neighbor who liked me for a long time. patrick and i hung out with this other guy tj for the summer. i can remember going on a walk with tj with molly the dog between us. said neighbor saw us and thought we were holding hands. he then proceeded to hide under the caboose and not come out.
•the smell of a certain kind of bush reminds me of the big house in north carolina. i can remember what it looked like when you walked around the house from the trampoline to the front porch.
•that beyonce song that came out two years ago reminds me of kyong. the last week she was in town jesse bought her the cd and we played it in her saab with the windows down and smoked cigarettes.
•when the moon is particularly big and bright, or small and dim, i think of chris hood. he called me one time many years ago and told me to look at the moon because it was so beautiful.
•when i make miniature chocolate chip cookies from the tube, i think of my first best friend, april jackson. she always made miniature cookies and to this day, i think of her when i make them too.
•eating cookie dough reminds me of growing up with great friends like jessica jeffrey, christi jervis, and melanie osgood. we used to make a half batch of toll house cookies. keep it in the metal kitchen aid mixer bowl. put it in the freezer for 15 minutes. grab 3 spoons and a glass of milk and just eat the cookie dough.
•the song always by my baby by mariah carey reminds me of laying in hopes bed and singing it on the top of our lungs.
•peanut buster parfaits from dairy queen remind me of brittany logan. we used to spend almost every day together when we were younger. her gunny would pick us up on her cadillac i think it was. we would listen to music in the back and then stop at dairy queen. peanut buster parfait, no peanuts for me.
•the song run away train by soul asylum reminds me of my brother patrick. i can remember a specific day riding in the car with him and my dad and kimberly on lindberg ave and that song coming on and talking about the video which shows a race car driver with a missing persons photo on the top of his car.
•the smell of bath and body works vanilla raspberry reminds me of the hospital in houston. i used that spray, soap, and lotion when i was there.
•the green day dookie album and the blue weezer album remind me of when my mom was at emory for her brain tumor. patrick, sarah, and i drove in sarahs black truck to the hospital and we were listening to these albums at the time.
•apple cider vinegar reminds me of nina. when we were in senior collection 3, nina was convinced that drinking apple cider vinegar was going to keep her healthy.

im sure i have many other memories but those are just a few that come to mind. anyone else want to share any memories like this that they have. please do.


***added

•when i hear le tigre or avril lavigne, i remember driving in bryana sortinos vw gti with leigh, leslie, and bryana in savannah in 2002 and 2003.
•jolie holland reminds me of late night puzzling with jessica dorman, cigarettes, red wine, and music on the ipod.

4 comments:

  1. clearly motorcycle drive by reminds me of our summer at the loft. and sigur ros reminds me of you. and when we all rode scooters after their show in atlanta.
    kitchen aid mixers. fire pits. arugula.
    yeah, i miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. anna.
    of course motorcycle drive by. i think the thing i like about that summer is that we had such great memories. you know when you look go through life and you feel like you are just living it, and then when you look back on it, those are the memories that you have. i feel like that summer we were making memories and we all knew it. everything we did was so new and so fun that i felt that we knew at the time, that these would be the good things we were going to remember.

    i dont know if that even made sense.
    but of course heart shaped lockets, my room in grant park, scooter rides, emerils, table 1280, the oc, and everything about summer 05 make me love and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somebody could write a book or make a movie about the Summer of 05 and I don't think it would be able to live up to the wonder that it really was... it was as if 12 different people were traveling on separate paths that all intersected that summer and when it was over, they all continued in their respective straight lines. You are right, I think we all knew what was happening... it was like instant nostalgia. I missed it as soon as it started because I knew it couldn't be forever and I wanted to soak up every minute of it.
    Motorcycle drive by is for sure an indicator of that summer...

    Some other things for me are:

    Silverchair's Diorama- reminds me of playing Zelda: Ocarina of time in my bedroom (formerly the "school room") in Suwanee. Both that game and that album are extremely nostalgic to me and they both seem to coincide with each other for some reason.

    Milk- whenever I have a glass of milk plain, which is seldom, I think about being on airplanes with you and how you drink it with ice which is so bizarre.

    Stretch Arm Strong- reminds me of Jeff Jawk and hanging out at the warehouses on Metropolitan with you guys. I remember he gave me a Stretch Arm Strong album for my birthday which I thought was really nice because it was his attempt at giving me the gift of hard core music while still not offending my Christian values... which says a lot for a staunch and renowned atheist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, thats exactly how i feel. we knew that summer was magic from the day it started.
    Also anytime i see anyone on little razor scooters it makes me smile. And for some reason most times i start to do laundry it reminds me of you. I think its bc you would come over to freedom parkway and do yours and that was always so nice because it was this comfortable feeling. sorry i know this post is old but i just thought i should keep adding to it!
    i really do love you. (and you too Pat)

    ReplyDelete